Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Crows (Art-Poetry-Art)


Change by Marie Stone van Vuuren












Nine crows flew away into the fading sunlight,
I watched them take wing, reeling around in the sky
they fled in opposite directions flapping with all
their collective might.

Three flew away into what must have been the west

their wings were flecked with yellow bits of sunlight
there was drops of red upon their ebony breasts.
I looked down and what should I see
but one of those crows considering me.
I nodded in thanks with proffered solemnity
He clucked his remorse:
"There were some crumbs, but no tea."

Three took wing on the winds for the far east

their eyes sparkled with mischievous glee
they sang as one, none in tune to say the least
I looked around and there he was still staring
this self same bird, his accusation still flaring
I tried to mumble out my apology
He croaked his contempt as if to say:
"A few miserable crumbs and not tea?"

Three rose in the updraft, two went into the north

the last turned back to head off towards the south
All this I have witnessed just as I have put forth
yet when I sat down to contemplate my day
I find the last crow- cup in hand, with more to say
He interrupted my erstwhile reverie
He caws his complaint:
"Only the crumbs and no intention of tea!"

What have you learned? This crow says to me

I reply that I saw nine birds I saw to be.
the crow cocks his head at me mockingly
there were never more than three
that is all we needed for the crumpets to
share with the tea.


This is the second installment in the Art-Poetry-Art project
This time I started by selecting a painting my Marie Stone van Vuuren.
you can find her art at Marie Stone Art



No comments:

Post a Comment