Thursday, November 7, 2013

It's like another song

It's just like another song I heard somewhere in time
along the pathways that lie tangled in my memory
like roots entwined with my desire and need to
really move along with the chords of the guitar
that plays in my memory, and the tears that crawl
along my cheeks as the pain burns them for the loss
that comes with the end of friendships and the absence
of love in my life. I want that Fast Car,
I want to drive to fast that I can escape my guilt
at not being strong enough to endure the rejection
that comes with miscommunications and mood swings
that drive meaning and consistency like music chords
falling like rain drops from the strumming of the last guitar
that can take my heart away
to another place, so I can forget her face
so I can tremble in the space of a few lines
of poetry trying still to find some measure of
what comes and goes as my life without the
thrill of touching someone else and find myself
alone in the long night. It's like having a few
dreams that are left on these pages like the
remarks that come out whenever I find the need to write
that remind me that I had a moment when there was
something more than the empty pavement that
make up the backroads of my mind.
don't leave me here, don't leave me behind

I remember when we were together
was that happiness? was that what
the older folks call good times
among the tragedies that accompany
the best minutes between one word
and another rhyme?


No comments:

Post a Comment