Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Long Road



I have driven so many miles I cannot count
whatever distance was spent in whatever amounts
I went alone wherever it was that I really went.
The Long Road is gone, like the dust in the wind
casts its lot like coins on the throw of fate's dice
I want to question my decisions, not once but thrice
Was I right or wrong? Will an answer suffice?

The pages of my memories, like streams of sands
or dreams of trees, I have expectations and demands.
I should have waited for the rains to bring the green
I could have stood the test of time for the moments
in between. The Long Road stretches out across this
my lifelong map, The promise of tomorrows, ungifted
untapped.

I will take my burdens up onto my crooked back
I will walk away from all that I have known, upon the track,
I will find my keys, my wallet, and phone.
I will walk away, unnoticed and alone.
I will draw my own destination, unbidden I will leave the fold;
I will drive into the sunset, away into darkness unasked for,
untold.
We have all our stories, in our hearts heavy with load
These are my words for this the longest road.

No comments:

Post a Comment