Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father's Day

We went for a walk, the trees were tall, the grass was green.
We stood at the gate, I was so very small, it's the seconds
that count, the time in between.
He looked down at me, I back up at him, at his crooked smile.
His hand was placed on my shoulder, so young, so thin.
we stood there for awhile.
All this someday will be yours, he seemed to say, the sky so blue.
We looked at the world, in the remains of the day,
I thought that because he said it- it must be true.
We went for a walk, the trees were old, the leaves are falling.
We stopped at the gate, his hand so cold, time fleeting,
memory fails, all that remains is my father's calling.
Come away from the past,
It was never meant to last,
In this life, we are bound to roam,
but at my father's door, I know
now, at last, I am home.

1 comment: