Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Whispers in the Wind


Song of Myself or Whispers in the Wind

Begun May 5 2006

This morning there were whispers in the wind
I dreamed of the many pasts of my life and
Wondered about my justifications for the decisions that I made.
This morning I sit under the overcast May rain and
Wander in and out of literature in hopes
Of finding some Whitman in my soul.

My darkness is still within me
But the tiny round pill
Stands to block access to it
Yet its dread weight summons
Me like a black hole eats the
Light of stars.

I watch the cat wash himself in the sunlight of morning
Methodical and prissy, his movements are so
Much like a woman who stretches out a leg to
Shave, I rub the night’s growth with a sigh

Yorick sleeps in the morning heat
On a quilt made by still yet American hands
And I realize that I love him as a cat
And my sole companion.

In the silence of morning
I choke up the remains of sleep
And wish that I could breathe like I did
When I was younger than the age of my days

Sadness comes creeping up my stairs
And slips into my joints as I struggle to
See the light of another overcast day.


37 years later and what have I learned?
I learned that I could live alone
But always yearn for the elusive love
Dreaming of kisses and brown hair
Touching the small of her back
Sleeping with her at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment