Sunday, April 20, 2014

There is a cypher.

Every time I think about the way the wind chases the clouds across the skies-
I remember that I dreamt I could leave this earth, taking wings like the eagle
and fly high out into the blue, flying under the sun beyond the cares of the day
beyond the reasons, the wherefores and the why's.

Once I wanted to know the reasons for the existence of my feelings
the memories that should have been there in the places between the past-
the moments when I wanted what little happiness I could have to last
the choices I made as if destiny had some sway- in the way that the
game was to be played, another roll and I would like the die to be recast.
like this was all a hand of cards, ante up before the shark folded
before there was another round of bets or double dealing.

Once I thought that I knew so many things to be real, to be true
now I only hear the echoes of my folly, the understanding that all
that somehow I was owed another chance in the race, like it was all
some merry little romp, a idiotic chase around a nursery rhyme
now after I find nothing at the end of the mulberry bush
now that I have found that it is all old and nothing is new
I feel to soft fall of disappointment like the drips of the paint
from my artist's brush red falling down amongst my blue.

Everytime I think about the way the sun shines out into the sky
I dream of eagles, and the silence of their flight, high above the earth
soaring out into the wide open spaces between the regrets that I feel
the places that I always assumed to be so very real- I find that I
am willing to give it all one more try.

There is an answer in every word and every line
there is a reason that I have said what is written here
like a key that opens this door to all I would hold dear
find the cypher, it's there for you to define, like a puzzle
out of place, out of time, this is the poem, this is the rhyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment