Monday, September 22, 2014

All the things you should have left unsaid

An hour later, the thoughts are still running around inside my head,
like my brain is unable to move on beyond the coldness of your voice
as I listened to you expressing your sense of betrayal and pain.
Was it the anger that drove you forward to express you fears?
Was it just the first moment to really say it after all these years?
Was it just happenstance, that this has ended our tragic romance?
Was I the one who really needed to hear all the things that would
have been better left unheard, unsaid?

An hour later, you still won't even stop pacing to look at me,
I said I was sorry although it wasn't something I had done,
it wasn't even a thing I had even thought nevertheless even said.
What was I to do as you railed against my lack of compassion?
What was I to believe as you stood there in fury, like you were
right and I was wrong, that I had missed the point, that the ship had
sailed, this was my one single chance, did I pass you by without
a pause, not even long enough to linger on my view askance
Is this a question or just one last plea?

An hour ago, you burned this bridge, case over, put it all to bed,
yet I lie here sleepless with more questions than answers in my
mind, am I always going to feel that I have been left behind?
Was it wrong to shed the tears, admitting the wrongs that someone
else committed, giving into imagined guilt, just to make peace
trading all that I have loved in order that we preserve what little
we have built of this relationship, like a sinking boat with no rats
we scrabble over such minor depressions like a pair of wet cats,
as it should be left unwritten, no tears wept, sanity is dead as I
reconsider one more time all the things you should have left unsaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment