Sunday, October 5, 2014

Down in the Hole

Everything looks so far away, as if I am looking down
a long railway tunnel and the world is more like a blur
than a photo and the light is oblique and life wanders by
only stopping on occasion to gaze down in the hole.

I remember the sunlight like a fading memory slipping away
as if I am falling down a bottomless pit so far that the speed
becomes relative, so much that I stop thinking of gravity as
anything more than the emotional weight that bears down upon
my soul as I rest easy in freefall down in the hole.

The last time I cried my tears rose up my face to trail away
like dew in reverse settling into the sky which is narrow and
all the questions that I wanted to ask are little more than echoes
escaping from my lips unutterable syllables of doom as I peer
intently for some sign that anyone marked my passing plunge
into the darkness, away from life and pain down in the hole.

You won't find me if you even remember that you were going
to look for me as I fade away like a ghost slipping out into the
night and the spirits I once held around me like a blanket flutter
out into the missed opportunities that my own fears robbed me
of as my very existence runs out of kinetic motion of the plummet
expends itself like the essence of potential and static find the
sudden need for equilibrium of all my illusions ripping away
from me down deep in this hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment