Sunday, November 6, 2016

A Prayer for All those who have passed.

I will remember you, my love
when the moon is down, 
when the sun is behind the clouds
when the day falls into evening
when I feel the brush of your hand 
on my shoulder, the murmur of
your voice in my ears.
I remember you, my son
the sound of your feet
in the hall and kitchen
the shadow you cast 
in the morning light
as you came in from play
the cards you gave
these precious pieces
of paper that I save
I remembered you, mother
the flowers on your grave
the leaves turning orange
silences between the stones
the iced tea on the porch
long talks on the telephone
your wisdom when all else
failed to soothe my fears
I will not forget you, brother
the sacrifices you made 
for us through the years
all that you fought for 
how you lived and died
all the times I forgot to cry
My father, sister, friends gone
this is how I choose to hold
your memories, closely
like a locket on my chest
above my heart, the place
that I will remember all
those who made me try
to do my very best.


mv2studios 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment