Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day Cliche

It's often been said that roses are red
and violets are blue and that is the reason
that I am supposed to be in love with you.
Why has everything that we have to say
about love come down to this particular moment
that it has to be summed up on one lousy day?

You know how I met your mother?
No, well it wasn't on the sidelines of
the football game- that's where Aunt Jen
met my older brother.
No, it wasn't in Paris on the Seine
nor was it that moment I stood outside
her apartment in the February rain.

There are so many many songs about the
funny thing we call love, silly lyrics made
to rhyme misplaced words with that one above.
Why must we be driven to such maddening ends
about one emotion that hardly determines
much more than it supposedly portends.

You know how I met your father?
No? Well it wasn't that night in the park
and it wasn't when he and his brothers
went out sneaking in the dark.
No, it was in New York in the spring
never been barefoot in Central Park
that was your Aunt Jen's kind of thing.

There are movies that think that the most
romance that can be presented to the adoring
audiences is to sell them all on the idea that
its about some random chance.
That themes of passion can always and
forever fresh and new.
so let's rehash old plots and continue to
lie about all the ideals that Valentine's day
swears are still true.

You know how I met the girl of my dreams?
You're funny, no it wasn't when I spilled my
latte and the coffee shop was filled with
her angry screams.
You know how I met the boy that changed
my life? No, that was when your Uncle Bill
ran into (not over) Aunt Jen, his current wife.

Happy Valentine's Day
all you lovers, sisters and brothers
fathers, uncles, cousins and aunts
Jen included, thanks to her, that was
how I eventually met your mother!








No comments:

Post a Comment