Friday, June 6, 2014

Afterwards

The sun still sits high out in the cloudless sky
the road, always the road, is empty, undriven
unlike my soul as I stand there a moment in the dust
wondering once again why my world has ended
as if the tears that wet my face is not enough to
remind me everytime I cry...

Days are like this out there in this wasteland
when the rain was burned from the heavens
the people I knew were lost to the ravages of
the passages of time like pages of the books
as they burned and the memory that I once had
is gone, like all the dreams that we had planned.

Hours have lost meaning in this post apocalyptic
form  of dreaming, was it all that like that when
mans wars came to the sudden and swift end
then all the arguments we shared fell away like
ashes in the wind as the world was laid bare
to the ruin that was all at once both simple
and tragically cryptic.

The moon is down, no longer to greet me in the night
the stars will look down pitiless in their flaming
paths through the wonder and awe that I can
only imagine down here on earth as they drift over
my head still out of reach. One day, I will reach
up with my soul and trace my fingers in their current
slipping away into the endless light.



No comments:

Post a Comment