Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Regrets

There were things that should have been said
there were memories that should have stayed dead
there were words that should have stayed in my head.
Sometimes it's like I am wishing too hard undo
all the things that have already been written and read.
I find myself wishing that I could make like none of it
ever happened, like I can just turn back the clock
un-throw that rock,
return the bullet to the smoking gun
still my feet which have already run.

There were words that should have never left my lips
there were lies revealed inside the mirth of my quips
it's like drowning yourself in sadness inbetween sips
from a cracked shot glass left over from one of my trips.
Sometimes I wish that it would all burn down
then I could get out of this unfortunate dirty town
but its like I have the gas but lack the spark
so I sit here in the dark,
I will wait here where I do belong
there is no fast car in this Tracy Chapman song.

There were truths that I should have told you
there were actions we could have taken too
but I stumbled, leaving them undone, overdue.
Sometimes it's like I can see us together before
it all began to fall apart
as if it could begin again
back at the very start, then I could remember that
I still have a heart, that even in a poem a dream can come
true.


No comments:

Post a Comment