Sunday, July 31, 2016

Revising Poetry for the collection: a peek.

The Breakup Poem

Like a surge of emotion as I felt tears in my eyes 
every time I see her, hearing her heartache in her voice
as she tells me no.
Truths that cannot be told only secretly whispered to my heart.
In denial of emotion, that cries out in time with the drumbeat
thundering in my chest as I try to remember to breathe each
time I see her.
Like the sorrow at the distance between my hands and her touch,
the gulf of thoughtlessness, the ideas of what love should be 
or might be but is.
Lies untold never should have been mentioned, emotions take hold
screaming out in the whine of a steel guitar stroking out in the
pain that I feel in my stomach as she walks away.

Originally Love Song
published Friday, April 26, 2012.

revised July 31, 2016.

I have been going through the last 4-5 years of blog poetry (which actually contain poetry I wrote many years before) and revising as needed. I find myself cringing all over again at some of the things I wrote back then also finding that I have published 168 poems with the word love in them. 
Yep, for someone who has never been in love- it's kind of scary.
What's worse is the abundance of basic grammatical errors that run amok throughout all that work.
Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment