Saturday, March 24, 2012

Epitaph


Epitaph

I would have been known like J.R.R.
But lost my path in the boroughs of a forgotten shire.
The words came, except that they flowed only reluctantly
An inconsistent stream of ideas and dialogues
Of unfinished characters and meandering plots.
I died without knowing love save for those quick passions
That fills youth like bottle rockets shooting into the night sky.
I did not find out what the lasting embrace was
Nor the familiar touch.
The meaning now gone as lost relationships that end
In messy fights and tearful disagreements.
I die with no resentments for its loss or the apparent
Lack of its mystery.
I still wish I had but a drop of bittersweet drought of the
Unripened nectar all the same.
I taught in vain.
Who will remember me?
Save for the fact that I once drove a vehicle the same as my name?
And was obnoxious enough to deserve the grudging respect
Of the younger generations I had wished to help mold.
Now the grayness of the uncertain voyage draws nigh
And the fear of parting this life beats my heart to a stop and I look
To the only familiar friend I have known to visit me soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment