Monday, June 4, 2012

The calm before the storm



There is a calm before the storm
So silent that it catches us unaware
It has been there since the day we were born
Death is in its name, chaos in its stare.

This calm that comes before the storm
Carries his ghost who has gone past
Unrelenting to those who are left to mourn
Leaving the desolate, empty at last.

We all tread our paths before the storm
Some paths do cross, others go by
We find friends for comfort and warmth
While we grieve and ask the fates why?

There is a calm that comes before the storm
Like a chill that settles on the darkened land
Like scattered birds we wander about forlorn
Sorrow is final, but together we stand.

Finally the storm breaks and down comes the rain
I find the tears on my face but the smile remains
I find a new strength, a new reason to recall.
I remember my friend, his name was Paul.


I wrote this in the fall of 1988. I was so young then and had just lost someone I was sure was going to be my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment