Thursday, June 28, 2012

very dated to late 20th Century


The Politically Korrect Poem

3 o’clock, winter solstice,
Urban city, I stand on a dirty gray street,
Amidst pieces of newsprint and cigarette butts
Collecting in corners of the edges of the sidewalk.
The chilled smell of coffee perking
On an old hot plate in that diner on the corner
Drifts- no wafts out to the place, where I-the-poet-
Am standing.
I watch the boys-not-yet-men
With torn up jeans and longish hair exerting their minor
Rebellions over one another as they run one into the other
Yelling insanities and screaming exhalations while I wait
On the bus.
It’s late.
Again.
And the Women with unshaven legs and shaved heads,
Mismatched articles of stained clothing
Yell out anti-sexist remarks at men as they pass them by
Stomping their purposefully ungainly marches. The colors
Of the human spectrum mix into an absurd pointillism
That would baffle Seurat and excite hot flashes of
Avant Gardism in the new artists fresh out of high school
Filled with misshapen truths like the knarled hands of the
Homeless man or is it woman who croaks out for my charity.
I look at the mass of humanity which flows and floods around
Me, all the while knowing that the bus would arrive just as
I grow interested.
I felt, at the time, that if I wrote this down
That it would not be received well by the howling metropolis
Or even the poets it is concerned with.
Hence I await your reply which I know is forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment