Friday, July 20, 2012

Camel


I stood on the hot sands looking
from east to the wide open west.
The wind rising from the north to sing south
blowing crystalline tears sparkling in waves
across the shallow dunes.
I realize that I must be along way from my home.
Bagwah, City of Golden Sands, rises out of the night,
promising the treasures of Sharizaddi's thousand and
one nights. Delights undreamed of fill my thoughts
as before the great gates I fall finding my knees in the
the same hot sands I have crossed.
I feel the might of the Semitic God upon my shoulder
forcing me to bow down as if demanding a prayer,
but the new warmth tells me it is the newborn sun
rising to remind me that I have no more water.
In the silence the thunderous whisper of a memory
reminds me as to what drove me here.
The passion for a woman with dark skin and deep eyes
burns hot like the hunger that has brought me to this
parched end at a dry oasis, and
neither her beauty nor my desire can bring me back
to my feet as I pitch forward with one last memory
to accompany me into darkness,
lust and desire can lead a fool to drink from a poisoned well.

No comments:

Post a Comment