Tuesday, July 10, 2012

last rites

Now I am revisiting old poems that need work and or a decent burial:


Last Rites

Last rites in the darkening sky
        Coming forth from the dragon’s cry
        Singing of his dying race
Echoes out into the night and space.

        Wings of red fury
        Rising to the skies
        Thunder sounding
        As the dragon flies.

Gone is the old age
Bring in the new
The old code is past
And the heroes grow few.

The new order is here
Men of steel now ride
In waves of dread and fear
See the destructive tide

Ancient origins in the birthing pool
        No more hatchlings, no more fuel
        We are born from the immortal dreams
        To the days of the haunted screams

        Wings of sleek silver
        Soaring above the sea of cloud
        Slipstream wind ripping
        Secret shadow above the shroud




The millennium has come to the evident end
        Histories becomes epic, myth and pretend
        Eternal lives have been cut short
By the Knights questing for renown and sport.

        A time of delay and of shock
        Desolation, the decapitation of the slain
        As the culling of a flock
        Dragons are dying in this deadly reign.

The old dominion on our hallowed ground
        Abandoned, we are hidden, not to be found.
        We are coming close to being on the brink
Of extinction, the bitter betrayal, the poisoned drink.

        Wings of red steel
        Fall like lightning, an arrow
        No mercy, I will not feel
        Rend and rip no sorrow.

II.

Our kind has come to this unfortunate fate
        Our defense comes too slow, too late
        Our young are orphaned in birth
Our mates are slain, their blood stains the earth.

        Anger has robbed us of our deep wisdom
        Hatred and anger is now all we can sum
        Where is our might against our common foe?
        All we have left is vengeance and woe.




Death and ruin, I stand against the dying sun
        War torn, scattered the man army on the run
        Many are dead, dying in the ruddy dirt
What cost victory? Was it worth all this death and hurt?

This passion leaves me, I find myself alone
What of my sins, how can I atone?
My kind is lost, I am the last
A monster of legend, from the past.

III.

Lost to life, my hopes, dreams, and visions fail
        All that is left will be found in fairy tales.
        I wander this new world in silence and grief.
Hated by some, feared by all, trusted by none, a thief.

        I have stolen the man from his kin
        I have killed the son, an unforgivable sin.
        I have taken the husband from the wife
        I am the pariah, the enemy of life.

        Wings in grey mists
        Hiding from the days light.
        Hunted, marked on the lists
        The prize for the chivalrous knight.

Old magic found deep in forgotten forests green
        She finds me hidden, unfound and unseen.
        She reaches out without fear, without hate
Binding us together, damning us in the game of fate.




        Beauty and the beast, known to few
        Peace now comes, she is true
        Her innocence heals me
        She sets my heart free.

The old storms only visit on the silent nights
        I sleep content in her company and light.
        She is now my hope, my passion and my life
Wed by nature, unified, the end of the past strife.

        Sunlit fields waving in the breeze
        Far away from any civilized place
        Wiling away the days with ease
        Happiness is ours, a moment of grace.

        A season to stay by my side
        To swim together in the ocean tide
        To share my life, to take my part
        Until she took an arrow aimed for my heart.

Sorrowful dirges I sing in the quiet morn
        I clasp her body to me, wishing I had never been born
        She was my soul and it has died within me
        Rage is revived and struggles to be free.

        Wings of Black Death
        Shadow the scorched land
        Scarred by the dragon’s breath
        Struck down where they stand.

I am the destructive juggernaut
Speeding like a plunging bird of prey
A sword forged in pain, terribly wrought.
Swift as lightning, I enter the fray.

There in the path of destruction, a child in my way
        Bravely trembling, stopping my wrath.
        Confronts me with her memory, I betray
        Her love, her trust, her smile, her laugh.

Turn now from this madness
My violence comes to an end
Now I see only her sadness
As this girl cradles her dead friend.

Last rites in the darkening sky
        Coming forth from the dragon’s cry
        Singing of his long dead race
        Calling out for her lost embrace

Wings of gold wonder
Rising above the desolation
I sing again as I wander
Echoing over the shattered nation.


She clutches at the hands of her fallen friend
Knowing that she came this close to the legend
She looks back up into the starry night
In wonder at the dragon’s flight.

Finis.

No comments:

Post a Comment