Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Whispers in the wind


Song of Myself or Whispers in the Wind

Begun May 5 2006

This morning there were whispers in the wind
I dreamed of the many pasts of my life and
Wondered about my justifications for the decisions that I made.
This morning I sit under the overcast May rain and
Wander in and out of literature in hopes
Of finding some Whitman in my soul.

My darkness is still within me
But the tiny round pill
Stands to block access to it
Yet its dread weight summons
Me like a black hole eats the
Light of stars.

I watch the cat wash himself in the sunlight of morning
Methodical and prissy, his movements are so
Much like a woman who stretches out a leg to
Shave, I rub the night’s growth with a sigh

Yorick sleeps in the morning heat
On a quilt made by still yet American hands
And I realize that I love him as a cat
And my sole companion.

In the silence of morning
I choke up the remains of sleep
And wish that I could breathe like I did
When I was younger than the age of my days

Sadness comes creeping up my stairs
And slips into my joints as I struggle to
See the light of another overcast day.


37 years later and what have I learned?
I learned that I could live alone
But always yearn for the elusive love
Dreaming of kisses and brown hair
Touching the small of her back
Sleeping with her at night.


37 years later and what have I learned?
I realized that silence is beholden to emptiness
And that music is my emotions singing
Out my losses and victories
My desires and fears
My regrets and
All the good things about living.

37 things later and what have I learned?
I learned a lot about life
Time begins long and then gets too short
Sickness and pain will dominate
What little joy and happiness that you feel
Unless you find a savior who will release you
From the bindings of human misery

I learned something about God
that we don’t communicate well
that we fail to understand what God wants
that we want rewards and punishments
that we reject the one simple teaching
that I believe to be true of the universe-
that there is nothing that can’t be forgiven-
that God and even us can forgive
and seek forgiveness  we so desire it.

I learned some things about women
All women are beautiful and mysterious
That their willing to lie in order to be kind
That they want to be lied to on the same note
That words are theirs to command and wield
That most still scream in unification at insects and mice

I learned what it is to be a man
That all men really want is passion
That all women want is love
That you can share both but it
Is not the same thing
I know that men pursue for the thrill
But once the hunt is over that nothing
Is left but to find new prey.

I learned that men conquer everything
That we are fire and violence
That when we create it is fury and wildness
That we destroy the same way
That we fail to see the softness
And beauty of creation
And change is not subtle nor is it
Silent as the thief in the night,

Several days later and I have dreamed
Of sleep and warmth
Of cats and cuddling
Of silence and sheep
Of sunlight in the mornings
Of rainfall thundering in the night
Of my mother’s quilt
And my daughter’s future

Several days later and I have planned
To journey to the west
To seek a wife
To find some peace
To learn a new song
To let part of my self die
To let the dream come back
And to sleep and to rest.

Last night, there were whispers in the wind
Change is coming they said those voices
In and around my head- change is coming
I am sure that is what they whispered what they said.

The wind blew a chair up and off my deck
It yowled as it fell to the ground in a wreck
I am sure there was laughter in the night
My doors swung open and all about as that
Gust ran havoc in through the house

I moved everything around in my house
Again today, change is coming I was heard to
Say. The sun beamed brightly through my
Window pane and I thought about why I could now
Live within the rain. My life is not some poem
On an unwritten page, I am 37 and come of age.






II.

Two years later

Two years have come and gone
As I fast approach forty and look back
To what I have so profoundly lost
Am losing and still have yet to lose
But probably not my virginity as some
So crudely would put it

On a mountain high above a historical event
I sit now into the darkness and long to rhyme out
What I would write next to express this day spent
I learned how to sharpen the steel of a chainsaw blade
I watched my father split wood like hairs
I longed again to kiss a woman again almost
Tasting the ruby abandon of years long past
I looked out to the scenic skies framed with clouds
And said strange things to myself most often aloud.

Two years later and tragedy and joy have both visited
Me with death and birth, my life has changed
I have lost more family and the two most influential
People I was ever blessed to know in one thoughtless
Act of petty childish revenge so complete that even
The avenged was wronged by his lack of foresight
Father murder, mother regret, who pays but their children
And all who knew the victims of such a heinous deed?

Two years gone and I have at least bid farewell to some
Of my lesser parts, the petty selfishness and longing greed
To the sum of my greater parts I hope to never see again
To debt that haunted me day in and out
To credit and debit that controlled my every movement
To fear that limited my world
To sadness that darkens the landscape of my memory


III
Four years Later

Words have come, time has gone
my loneliness is palatable but I still eat and drink in its shadow
I sometimes feel rage, sometimes it is just loss
loss for things I have never had like love and laughter 
a kiss like cursive upon this page.

I seldom regret much anymore. I found my god, I found a life
I live in peace, I walk without my former strife
I know great people who know great things
I know some women who can still make my heart sing
I have found music again after years of deafness
I have found art again after years of blindness
I have found truth again and have no need of lying
I have found me again and learned the power of crying.

Maybe one day, there will be no more tears
no more monsters, no more loss, no more fear.
Maybe I can look forward to the sunlight 
and stop dreading the night
Maybe I will find someone to share life with
words with, laughter with, 
Maybe

I live in the light, out under the stars
I find words in more places than I would have thought
I find pages of things I once wrote
I find stories and poems pouring out from my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment