Monday, July 29, 2013

At the End of the Long Road


I walked the long road alone. No one followed even as I followed no one in particular
There was a lonesome wind that wailed off into the distance beyond my eye sight
beyond the edge of the horizon, on the cusp of the morning light
I looked back to find that even my footprints faded in time to the sounds of my feet.
I looked ahead for something called hope, for someone I had hoped to meet.

I am alone I said. There was no answer not even from the dryness between my lips
I am alone I cried out there in the world as if something in my soul had died
it wasn't completely true, so even as I said the words I knew that I had lied
all along my journey, there was someone who walked unseen at my side
I look to my old friend now as we stand at the end of this long road
was it some unspoken agreement, so sort of honor or unknown code?

My friend looks at me and smiles with certainty of  the invisible smile
I have been with you since you were born, I am with you every mile
We two are as one, sometimes you lead, sometimes I follow
Something is inside you, something sad, something hollow
I feel the distance fill me with a sudden sense of loss, of sorrow
don't fear- my friend says- there will be a moon to walk under tonight
nor waste your tears as it will only be cloudy with strands of sunlight tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment