Monday, July 1, 2013

There was a time once

There was a moment when the Sun broke through the clouds and light fell upon
the world like it does a thousand times since I have begun to walk upon this my
mother Earth.
There was a day, when I looked for a puffy white cloud floating in the sky like
some fantastic dragon lazily gliding by as I gazed up at her passage from the green
grasses upon which I lie.
There was something in the way the time passed that was as if my memory came
to life around me and I saw friends and family that normally I would never have
a chance to see.

It was on a day like this, so many days gone by that the years have faded like
sepia painted photographs pressed into a dusty unopened album taken off the
old wooden shelf to be revealed to a descendant that has yet to come to be.
I saw my ghosts and illusions of the loves and losses come drifting by under the
sun, under the motion of the birds moving like dreams upon the winds
of what I find to be true in this my mind's eye.
I called for my mother as she came running through the swirling leaves
in and out of the dandelions and rose petals that obscure her response if there
was one and then she is gone by.

I looked for my father but he never came to me in this vision of summers
to be and summers long forgotten yet not completely past.
It is like lemonade poured fresh from a silver pitcher on a hot Sunday
afternoon, ice cold, fresh bittersweetness on my tongue
It is like jumping from the rock over the mirror shining brightness of the
swimming hole of my youth soon to plunge into the chilly depths or awake
to the evening, the moon and her silent yet melancholic song.

No comments:

Post a Comment