Thursday, July 4, 2013

Well, Technically it will be an Ode to you Adam.

This is not a list of what you should know about on turning 40.
This is more from one man to another, from one with virtual success
rather than actual success. So technically it will not contain sage wisdom
about how life could be or even should be as it is not much more than
finding out that life and the last 28 years has only made you less of
a stranger to me.
This is not a parcel of advice where upon the attainment of adulthood
mirrors anything more than the doctrine of understanding and peace
that could change only the small things that have happened across the
vastness of the Atlantic Ocean between what was and what is- as far as
you or I can see from a brief intersection at a school out in the world
far from the things we have understood.
Is it some Galactic irony that we, who were strangers from our first greeting
should find ourselves together again in the field that makes us similar almost
the same were it not for the insane need to laugh in the apparent face
of destiny which shouts out to us- NOW SEE HERE! I bring you a unity of
purpose in the very medium that you two are once again meeting!
I cannot pretend to know you from the data that is stored in our similarity
nor can I pretend to understand that we might even share in the plainness of
our common mediocrity. If you don't have the common ground that surrounds
us think in empirical terms of technology and the world wide web that laughs
at our collective fates, with such hilarity
I could try to spell it out for the sake of my idiosyncratic etymology
but then the effort would have be wasted in the words that I am writing
in your honor to say that we turned out somewhat more similar than any-
thing I could have ever guessed possible at our first meeting in the school
from which we both sprang and reconnects our cables like packets of small
bits and bytes making up this poem's mythology.

I would that I had known you much more than probably is better
but then it is not in our cards, or expansions slots to betray this
little idea of mine down by a code to the everlasting letter.
I might have this- all of that to say
although I doubt it would have fit
into the box provided on this your
40th birthday.

For Adam Egdall (you asked for it).

No comments:

Post a Comment