Wednesday, May 13, 2015

PADM #8: Nerds

What is it about Nerds?
I mean that there is actually a lot about nerds that I like
BUT
there are also a lot that I don't like about how the Media 
and by Media I mean TV entertainment (BBT) defines nerds
and nerdism as.
Nerds are not just like other humans save that most of them are
mostly human with feelings and fears and doubts and sometimes
even hopes that they will be like other humans.
Nerds are really aware that they are different and that the awareness
is what makes them different from others because Nerds feel this
more strongly or rather acutely than others.
Ironically, I am not a nerd and maybe it is that others seek to define 
me as a nerd and thereby quantify Nerdism as a quantifiable category
in order to fit all those social outcasts and rejects and failures into a 
tidy box so that maybe by the definition of rejection they will become 
something like those other classifications that make the others feel
like the universe is actually explainable and thus safer from the very
anxiety that drives so many people like me to define ourselves by a 
formerly derogative name given to us by ignorant bullies when we 
were too young to realize that no one can define us other than 
ourselves although they will try,
So what is it about Nerds that makes me ask that question?
I am a nerd, at least by identification with the plights of 
social rejection and a distinct inability to conform to
this, the expected social norm.
Perhaps I am a nerd because I reject the idea that I must be a nerd?
unless I am a geek
which would be something else entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment