Tuesday, May 14, 2013

PODM #14 Toy Guns and Plastic Swords

Toy Guns and Plastic Swords

The bittersweet melancholy of my misspent youth

chasing dreams of warfare love and this elusive
idea we sometimes call the truth.
I wanted to love and be loved in return
I wanted to know sex, 
I wanted to have my turn.

Toy guns and plastics swords are 

considered only for the big boys
if you want to run with us
you have got to learn to fight
and to cuss

Those were the happiest days in time or space

chasing girls with kisses, writing bad poetry
hoping to catch her in the embrace
I want to know what it was to love
I wanted to learn how to lie
all I needed was one good shove

Toy guns and plastics swords are

now the domain of the little boys
you sometimes pause to wonder why
if you found one again
would you yearn for the fight
or flee before giving it a try.

Toy guns and plastic swords

sometimes youth is in of itself
it's own bittersweet reward.



you know this is all your fault right?


So many rewrites on this one today.

No comments:

Post a Comment